How to make Shrikhand ?
An all time favourite in Maharashtra and Gujarat
- 8 cups plain yogurt
- 3-4 tbsp milk (50 ml)
- 1/4 tsp spanish saffron
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 1/4 powdered sugar(Beet sugar, Unrefined sugar, USDA Organic sugar, and Raw sugar can be used but not white sugar, or refined sugar)
- 2 soft mangoes
- 10 pistachio nuts
- Measure out plain yogurt and pour it into a doubly folded cheese cloth\ muslin cloth lining a colander and balance it over a bowl to collect the water. Put the bowl in the fridge and allow to drain overnight.
- The next morning discard the water collected and work with the thick yogurt remaining in the cheese cloth.
- On medium high, heat the milk in a small sauce pan and add saffron to it, until the volume of the milk is reduced to quarter, remove from heat.
- Transfer the thick yogurt to a mixing bowl and add ground cardamon, sugar, saffron milk and mix well.
- Wash, peel, and chop the mangoes into cubes.
- Add the mango cubes into the above yogurt mixture.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Serve it to Lord Krishna and enjoy His prasadam