How to make Parupu Usili ?
- flat beans – 1/2 kg
- channa dal – 1/2 cup
- toor dal – 1/2 cup
- urid dal – 2 tbsp
- dry red chillies – 2
- cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- asafoetida – 1 + 1 pinch
- oil – 2 tbsp
- turmeric powder – a pinch
- curry leaves – 5 to 6 leaves
- salt to taste
- Soak channa dal, toor dal and urid dal over night.
- Wash, clean and chop the flat beans.
- Boil the chopped beans for few minutes until soft and drain and keep aside. (if using a pressure cooker cook for two whistles and remove)
- Wash the soaked dal and remove maximum water from it and blend it in a food processor to make a paste. To this paste add dry red chillies, salt and asafoetida, and grind all the above into a smooth paste (if needed add very little amount of water). The paste / batter should be in the consistency of vada batter.
- Now, in a Kadai/wok, heat oil on medium heat and add cumin seeds, turmeric and asafoetida and fry for a minute.
- To the above add the paste/batter and then let it cook for 5 minutes without moving it. After 5 minutes, mix well.
- Stir in the cooked flat beans to the dal paste and keep cooking it on medium heat with occasional stirring (make sure it is properly stirred as this will help the dal cook).
- If necessary add a teaspoon oil to the curry if it looks a little dry.
- Keep cooking the curry until the dal gets cooked and it separates forming a powder like texture.
- Remove from heat, transfer into a serving bowl.
- Serve it to Perumal with rice and sambar/pulusu/ Kozhumbu and enjoy His Prasadam.