How to prepare Dhokla ?
Dhokla is a traditional dish from Gujarat which is a great Vegan snack
- 1 1/2 cups medium semolina
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp ENO (Fruit salt)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp desiccated coconut powder
- 1/4 bunch chopped coriander leaves
- Prepare a steamer/pressure cooker with water about an inch from the bottom boil it on medium high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, add semolina, chickpea flour (besan), oil, chopped chillies, grated ginger, salt, turmeric and sugar and mix well until no lumps.
- Now add yogurt, lemon juice, water, ENO and whisk well.
- The dhokla mix is ready to steam.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased cake tin or dhokla pan and place it the steamer or pressure cooker. Close the lid and steam for 15-20 minutes.
(when using a pressure cooker do not place the whistle/weight to the cooker lid)
- Check whether the dhokla is cooked or not by pricking the dhokla with a tooth pick in the centre or by inserting a knife in the centre if they come out clean then the dhokla is ready.
- Remove it from the steamer\ Pressure cooker and let it cool for few minutes
- Cut the Dhokla around the edges first and then cut into diamonds or squares
- Heat a small pan for tempering add ghee to it once melts and hot add mustard seeds and let them pop, then add sesame seeds fry until golden brown and then pour this mixture on top of the prepared dhokla .
- Garnish with coriander leaves, paprika powder and desiccated coconut.
- Serve them with mint and coriander chutney to Lord Krishna and enjoy the prasadam.