How to prepare Aloo Palak?
Aloo Palak is a vegetable dish which is used as a side dish for chapathi or rice and it healthy. This recipe serves 2 people.
- Potatoes- 6 medium sized
- Around 250 gms or 1-2 bunches of cleaned and chopped spinach (according to the size of the bunch)
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 2tsp
- Corriander powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -a small pinch
- Asafoetida powder- a small pinch
- Chopped green chilly -1
- Grated ginger -1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying around 2-3 tsp
- Lemon juice of half a lemon
- Corriander for garnish (optional)
- Shallow frying pan on medium heat
- clean, peel and cut the potatoes in cubes
- When the frying pan heats up, add oil to it and add cumin seeds and asafoetida till crackle
- Add green chilly and grated ginger to the oil and let it fry for a minute
- Add the potato cubes to the oil and add salt and turmeric powder to the potatoes and let it cook for 5 min until it makes a crust underneath.
- Shuffle the potatoes and cook with cover for 5 min so that the potatoes cook through
- Now remove the cover and check whether the potatoes are cooked , if not leave it to cook for 2 more min and the shuffle them again and let them form a skin on all the sides as a result of frying
- After the potatoes are fried from all the sides add the cleaned and chopped spinach to it and mix them well and let it cook till soft and almost dry.(spinach gives out a lot of water so let that water evaporate)
- To the above add cumin powder and coriander powder and mix. remove from heat transfer in a serving dish
- Garnish with lemon juice and coriander leaves
- While shuffling and mixing do not use a spoon try to toss them in the pan and toss them as little as possible
- Do not worry if use have never tossed in the pan then use a spatula/spoon to mix but then be careful not to smash the potatoes.